WaKan Project Website Forum Index WaKan Project Website
Forums about WaKan and Japanese & Chinese language
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reference books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: reference books Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate if you could post here any recommendations of books concerning Japanese.
Your favourite textbooks, grammar books, dictionaries and all sort of suchlike stuff available in any language.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the books I've bought for Japanese learning I can recommend the following ones:

Mangajin's Basic Japanese Through Comics parts 1 & 2
An indispensable book if you're going to try to read original manga.
Explains basic Japanese specifics (like "yappari", "yoroshiku", etc.) on real manga strips. The Japanese manga samples are translated and the translation is well annotated.

All About Particles
Wonderful particle reference. Many examples for each particle. Examples are translated.

The Handbook of Japanese Verbs
The same as above for Japanese verb forms.

Japanese for Everyone
The textbook I'm using. It's one of the best textbooks I've seen for Japanese. I think it's highly superior to the frequently used Japanese for Busy People. It uses kana from start, is functionally orientated (eg. you learn phrases and grammatical terms people actually use on the very real sounding examples). All in all it's really packed with useful information - one JFE lesson equals 6 JFBP lessons Smile This one book covers most beginner & intermediate topics.

Japanese Written Word: A Unique Reader
Wonderful Japanese reader. The texts within are quite advanced and so it will last you for a while. Every text is written in kana+kanji on one page, in romaji on following and the professional translation is given on a next page. Contains lists of vocabulary with explanations for each page and cultural commentaries.

I'm not using any book dictionaries.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to second Filip's vote for 'Japanese for Everyone' - I've looked through quite a few texts, and it really is the best by far if you ask me. I also have the 'Japanese for Busy People' text set (from earlier study) but they don't stack up against the depth of detail in 'Japanese for Everyone'. I also bought the matching tape set for this book, and partly converted them to mp3's for listening to on the train (I must finish doing that someday...)

There are a few other books I can recommend, but I'll wait until I can post links to them before mentioning them - must go to bed, sorry!

- Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest Niwa Saburo's grammar:

A great reference book, in my opinion. It's written entirely in Japanese, though. Hope that won't scare off anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: A download site with some japanese book to check Reply with quote

Hello, Perplexed one, here I give you a link to a russian page where you can download some english books like those of Remebering Kanji I, II and III as pdf files, Minna no nihongo and some other basic grammars, just look the list very carefuly cause it is a little bit long. If you know russian language you will find a lot more. You just can go to this site and see if this texts are useful to you. Good luck!

Arrow http://uztranslations.net.ru/japanese.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: