WaKan Project Website Forum Index WaKan Project Website
Forums about WaKan and Japanese & Chinese language

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electronic dictionaries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dir.en.Rei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: electronic dictionaries Reply with quote

all the overseas students I've come across own electronic dictionaries. I'm planning on going to Japan soon and I think it'd be a better option than a pocket (paper) dictionary. but I've yet to browse for one so I'm not sure what to expect.

any recommendations? if you have one can you tell me about it, e.g., its features.

I'd like to have a dictionary where you can add entries, similarly to Wakan? for instance adding a word, then its spelling (kanji, hiragana), group (verb, noun, etc.), definition.
tony
Co-Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure an electronic dictionary is the right choice? I explored the options at one point, and decided that a good electronic dictionary would cost nearly as much as a handheld computer, and the latter is of course much more flexible. (As it turned out, my income level dropped precipitously, and I ended up choosing neither.) But perhaps a handheld computer, on which you could use many of the software tools you have already accumulated for use with Japanese, would be worth considering.
Dir.en.Rei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now I'm not so sure. I've seen people use them and they seem so convenient. electronic dictionaries being nearly as expensive as handhelds isn't an exageration on your part is it, tony? by handhelds do you mean laptop/notebooks or PDAs? if the latter: I had no idea you could install aplications like Wakan on them.

I was willing to spend $300~ (Australian dollars) for it (though technically it isn't my money since its a prospective birthday present = P). but if it gets anywhere past the $450 mark then I might as well get a laptop/pda. I have no idea how much PDAs cost.

I'll definitely give it more consideration. thanks for the reply. I'd like to receive some more ^_^'
Dir.en.Rei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the iPhone and the language applications availabe. if you have any would you please give your opinion on them.
tony
Co-Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: handhelds Reply with quote

I'm not sure what "PDA" means now-- in the beginning, they were very limited devices-- but I meant a portable computer with a small screen (considerably smaller than a notebook or laptop computer), typically running either Windows CE or the Palm OS. I have seen Japanese language programs advertised as having versions which run under these operating systems-- and there's the free word processor JWPCE which was originally written for Windows CE. I don't know any more details, as I don't have a handheld computer myself. But I'm sure you could find programs if you did a search for Japanese software together with either the phrase "Windows CE" or "Palm OS." Please forgive me if this information is out of date-- I haven't looked into these devices for a couple of years.
neocarbunkle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little late to the conversation but I'm in the same boat. Lately I've had my eye on the eee pc from Acer, its around $300-$400 its really light weight and only a 7" screen. Midori had some on display and they are only slightly larger then a dvd case, definitely smaller then your text books. It is bigger then a denshijishou but not too big that you couldn't have it sitting on a small desk in class.
denkbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same situation and chose to get myself a Samsung NC10. Those are great devices, they're in the same price rang as the EEE PC, the customer support isn't nearly half as bad as it'd be with Asus and the NC10 netbooks have a much longer battery runtime (I usually get 6-7 hours runtime when the machine is fully charged).
Dir.en.Rei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: bump Reply with quote

just wondering if anyone has any new opinions RE this subject?

more apps are now available and I still haven't gotten 'round to purchasing one. but I hope to get something within the next month.

there have been a few new releases by the competitors and I've been hearing a lot of people rave about Sony Ericsson and LG and slam the iPhone. any thoughts?
denkbert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own an iPhone, but I purchased an iPod Touch some weeks ago and I have to say that this thing is WHACK.

Aside from it's functioning as a music and media player, there are tons of useful and funny applications (necktie how-to, how to give CPR, carpenter apps that perform like a level etc). But the best part is it's japanese learner's applications:

If you jailbreak it, you can download a fully functional version of the popular learner's program Anki ( http://ichi2.net/anki/ ) called Ankimini and then there is the program iDic which currently costs 3,99 €. This single app makes the iphone/ipodT sort of mightier than a denshi because it can load Epwing dictionary files. You can get those for nearly all important dictionaries like the Edict and Wadoku for free and then you can of course purchase Epwing files from dictionaries like the Kôjien, the Kenkyûsha or the Gakken on Amazon Japan.

More on iDic here: http://bigskyflier.com/iDic.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: