WaKan Project Website Forum Index WaKan Project Website
Forums about WaKan and Japanese & Chinese language

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Variant forms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenkyuushin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Variant forms Reply with quote

Hello!

I would like to know something more about the variant forms:

"Variant Forms
Simplified Variant - Simplified character corresponding to the given character (if one exists).
Traditional Variant - Traditional character(s) corresponding to the given character.
Z-Variant
Semantic Variant - Unicode value for a character with similar or identical meaning which can generally be substituted for the given character.
Compatibility Variant" (From the help file)

Are the variant forms important only for chinese or also for japanese? Are they common?

I suppose, that only the semantic variant is a little bit important for japanese.

Thank you in advance Very Happy

Kenkyuushin
wakan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these forms were take from the UNIHAN. Maybe you can find detailed information there (but it is more probable that you won't find anything useful).

In my opinion these forms concern mainly Chinese, they're not useful for Japanese students, who will do best if they stick to the Jouyou-approved forms.

Filip
BobbyBeep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Students Reply with quote

By the way Japanese and Chinese student often have troubles with learning English language. A friend of mine uses online services for academic writing to pass his exams at college. Here is a link if somebody is interested.
Awakeza

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is most useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: