WaKan Project Website Forum Index WaKan Project Website
Forums about WaKan and Japanese & Chinese language

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a Wenlin equivalent for Japanese language?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Is there a Wenlin equivalent for Japanese language? Reply with quote

The program Wenlin was very helpful to me when I learned how to read, write, and correctly pronounce the Chinese language.

Does anybody know if there are any such programs for teaching Japanese with as many features and high quality and calibur as Wenlin? Or perhaps a combination of programs added together to provide such organized learning? It doesn't have to be free, as Wenlin was certainly far from inexpensive, but definitely worth the price.

Some features are listed here. http://www.wenlin.com/wenlin1.htm

These features include instant Chinese to English dictionary, stroke order in terms of writing, groups of sorted words including a list of most frequently used words in the language, typing English words and finding Chinese words with equal meaning, ability of "drawing" the word to search for it in the database (using a pen tablet or mouse), and very accurate written pronunciation as well as audio pronunciation of almost every word in Chinese.

Please help if possible. Thanks!
tony
Co-Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most programs for Japanese have either no pronunciation of words, or not very good pronunciation. The best text-to-speech I have heard is the "Voice of Japan" program, but I'm not sure it's even being sold any more, and all of its other features were pretty lame (WaKan is ten times as good for dictionary lookup or kanji lookup).

Tejina and LexiKan feature "handwritten" input of single characters, but not of entire words. Tejina gives you a list of possible matches after each stroke you enter (there are fewer and fewer as you go on), and you can select one of the possibilities at any time. LexiKan "autocorrects" the strokes as you enter them.

Apart from those two features, everything else you listed can be done pretty well with WaKan. WaKan does not have a function to search for a given text string in a collection of text files, but I don't think it would be hard to add. I'll suggest it in the Feature Request forum.

--Tony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, thank you for your comments.

In regards to most commonly used Japanese words, would anybody have any idea if this site is any good?

http://www.nuthatch.com/kanjicards/index.html

Please help if possible. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: