WaKan Project Website Forum Index WaKan Project Website
Forums about WaKan and Japanese & Chinese language

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install or use Examples?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagen327

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: How to install or use Examples? Reply with quote

I have download the japanese examples and have no idea how to install it in Wakan. Can someone help me please and if possible can you spell it out for me. Thank you.

Dru
Kagen327

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to install or use Examples? Reply with quote

Forget it. I did it and didn't know I did. Thank you.
Prem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to install or use Examples? Reply with quote

Hi ,

I did try to import . It started importing ... but never ends.
Wakan hangs while importing. Did anyone face the same issue ?
How did you overcome it ? Any workarounds ?!

Regards,
Prem.
petab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: deleted, superseded by Tony's post.

Last edited by petab on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
tony
Co-Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prem--

The key here is that you do not have to take any action from within WaKan for it to use the example sentences-- WaKan recognizes automatically whether the file examples_j.pkg is present in the directory containing the wakan program (wakan.exe) and uses it if it is there.

The Import command is ONLY for vocabulary files, which are usually files with extension .csv (stands for "comma-separated values" although WaKan vocabulary files usually use semicolons as delimiters). (There may still be some older vocabulary files around from early versions of WaKan with extension .wkl; the program still recognizes these as vocabulary files just for backwards compatibility.)

It is also important to note that you can also view example sentences for a word on the Dictionary screen-- this is in fact how I usually use it-- and not just on the Vocabulary screen as Petlab has described above.

Look up a word in the dictionary, by any method, and select one of the results from the result grid by clicking on it (it will become highlighted). The second button below the result grid is labeled Examples. If this is toggled on (darker shade of grey), then example sentences containing the selected word will appear one at a time in a text box below the two buttons. Use the three buttons to the lower right of this text box (RND for random, left arrow, and right arrow) to navigate among the various example sentences containing the word.

--Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: