WaKan Project Website Forum Index WaKan Project Website
Forums about WaKan and Japanese & Chinese language

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Journey to Japanese understandings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mateiru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: A Journey to Japanese understandings Reply with quote

Basically I will get to the point, that japanese isn't just any language that can be mastered with the snap of your fingers..it takes a lot of work to begin with and personally I am still learning now as a semi rookie.

I guess you can say this is my own way kind of thing lesson that i'm giving you, but anyway here is something you should know:

First, don't get CONFUSED with Hiragana (ひらがな) and Katakana(カタカナ) as the one whole alphabet system! Hiragana is the alphabet itself, but Katakana is none meaningful characters that are mainly used to illustrate names, places or objects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example:

Watashi no namae (Mateiru) desu
私 の 名前 ( まている)  です。

Translation:
It is my name Mateiru.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you see above is Wrong! This translates perfectly...but if you we're in japan people probably wouldn't know that is your name?!Because you see the name I added in between the parentheses? Well, inside it's written in Hiragana opposed to Katakana. When you write your name, it should always be with katakana.

So now I will show you the correct way to write this now:

Correct example:

私 の 名前 (マテイル)  です。

Translation:
It is my name Mateiru.

Notice that I have inputted the same characters as before, except for the name now written in Katakana? This is the right way to do this, always right you're name with Katakana. Oh, and if you notice the 'desu' part? Well that is just a polite copula in japanese.

Another thing you should know around both the Hiragana and Katakana is..they both have the exact same sound signatures.

so 'あ' is 'a'-------- in katakana is 'ア' the same 'a' sound
and 'う' is 'u'-------and again, its the same sound with katakana

Except of course you have notice they are not both written the same way. But you will learn that, by looking practice them with this link:

http://www.realkana.com/

Well, thats all to it really..

Let me know is the was helpful?
Tom Hodgers
Co-Admin

Location: Valencia, Venezuela via Liverpool and Manchester, England

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mateiru.

Please try to make your posts as easy to understand and as professional as possible. We donīt want to confuse our viewers.

1. Your post is confusing - even though you say donīt get confused.

2. Hiragana and Katakana are scripts written in syllables - neither are "alphabets".

3. Both are devoid of meaning - they are used only phonetically.

4. Please refrain from using machine translations.

The translation you give for:
私 の 名前 (マテイル) です。
Translation:
It is my name Mateiru.

Should be: "My name is Mateiru".

5. Please do not give links to commercial products in your posts - you may be banned. If its a Japanese software product, please post under Software Tools.

Thank you, please enjoy the forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaKan Project Website Forum Index -> Japanese language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: